Monday, October 15, 2007

My New Business Partner...


This past Friday was the first time in seven months that my baby would not accompany me to a business event... It was now time to take on a new business partner! My 5 year old son, Ryan, has been asking to join me on one of my direct sales parties this past few months. So, this past Friday the perfect opportunity popped up. I decided to bring him with me as my helper and see if I could really teach my child about my business like I hear so many other direct sales people have done before me.

I could tell Ryan felt special as we planned a secret mission to "sneak" out of the house so his younger brother wouldn't be upset that he couldn't come with us. We were on our way to a themed Halloween party with my best customers, so he was especially concerned that I had his Darth Vader costume packed away in the car. Once buckled in, I could tell Ryan was excited because he started firing away at so many important questions: How big was the room we were going to? Were the lights in the room big? Did I remember his Darth Vader belt? Were we going to work on the ceiling? I'm not sure where that question came from, but am sure it made perfect sense to this 5-year old!

At first I worried he'd get bored quickly. Thankfully, he was quick to help unpack the car, set up the chairs, pass out folders and orders as everyone arrived, and eagerly pick up doorprize tickets from all the ladies. Once everyone was settled, I set him up with some food from our potluck where he happily occupied himself. He even asked permission to have some candy and then 2 broccoli's, 2 carrots and 2 tomatoes. A mother couldn't be more proud! After drawing a treasure map, Ryan had a quick lesson on time telling because he wanted to know what time we would have to leave. I discovered he's a lot like his father... he does not like to be late. At 9pm he promptly ushered me out the door.

Ryan could barely keep himself awake on the way home he was so tired. To keep him up, I asked him what his favorite part of the night was. He smiled and said, "Eating"! OK, maybe he hasn't quite caught my passion for the business just yet, but it was a precious "first" experience to share with my son that I will never forget. In retrospect, I realized that I am teaching my son more than the business, rather he's learning some important life lessons like how to be inquisitive, how to be a good helper, how to work and still have fun, how to tell time with a clock that has hands, and that veggies are yummy!

As I lay him down to sleep that night, he had one more question for me. "Can I come help you at your next Halloween party?". Of course! It would be one of my greatest pleasures.
Teri Baxter
Direct Selling Women's Alliance
www.mydswa.org

No comments: