Tuesday, October 9, 2007

From a different perspective-having really worked the 9-5 "American Dream" job...


I have spent my morning working on the final touches of the Party with Your Kids promotion and one of my last to-do’s for the campaign today is to post my blog. I approach writing my online journal entry tentatively because I am not a direct seller, nor claim to have the drive and determination it takes to work at a home-based business that so many members of the DSWA pride themselves in and are so good at.

There are many commonalities between the direct sellers I have connected with since joining the DSWA as their online Marketing Director…one of the most noticeable has been this: the passion for your families; especially your children is evident. That is where I believe I can share my story and connect with those work at home entrepreneurs that I have met both offline and online since joining the DSWA. My passion and number one priority is my family.

I’m sorry to say that over the years that the priority for my family was not where it needed to be. I struggled with balancing work and my personal life and making time for what is the most important, my family. I had spent over 20 years in corporate America, living what I thought at the time was the “American Dream”. I was on the fast-track in my career; but something was always missing. I was missing time with my family; most importantly my daughter, who was quickly becoming a teenager.

I fast forward my story to February, 2007. I had decided to leave my job in corporate America, not sure what I was going to do next. I had connected with Jane Deuber in a previous company I worked at and after leaving my job, emailed her and let her know my personal email address. She responded with some life-changing news. The DSWA was in need of a Marketing Director and she wanted to know if I would be interested. I was ecstatic. The ability to work from home and still work in marketing; something I am truly passionate about, was the gift I was looking for.

And now I fast forward my story to today. I had the freedom this morning to start working at 6:30 a.m. with the ability to attend my daughter’s final Junior Varsity volleyball game of the season this afternoon and take her and her teammates out for a celebratory pizza party afterwards.

In looking over the last 6 months of working in a home-based business, doing what I love and spending time with those I love…I would say I now am truly living the real “American Dream”.

Lisa Zetah, Online Marketing Director

Direct Selling Women's Alliance

www.mydswa.org




1 comment:

Karen said...

Wow Lisa, your story really touched me. There is NOTHING like working from home and fulfilling your family's needs AND your own, and making a difference for the company you work with. You are doing an awesome job and your daughter is learning wonderful lessons about how SHE is a priority in your life! Hooray!