Monday, October 8, 2007

The many facets of working from home and the benefits our children reap...


It’s been another extremely productive day in my home office and as the clock creeps slowly toward the 3:00 hour and I find myself finishing up my last to-do’s, I realize I have 30 minutes to complete some important projects before the clock strikes 3 and I get to put on my other hat – my MOM hat.

The truth is there is nothing like the joy of creating a life that allows for our many passions: our family, our business and ourselves – all woven together to create a more compelling life.

I pull up to third level where the 5th graders meet their parents after school. I end my call on my cell phone just in time to see my son Alex coming around the corner, back pack slung on his shoulder and huge smile on his face. He doesn’t let on that he is happy I’m there to pick him up – he’s in fifth grade you know – but I know he is.

We head home for what is one of my favorite times of the day – homework time. I know, some moms think I am crazy, but to me it’s a chance to marvel in the person he has become and the way he approaches the task at hand.

Sitting in my kitchen I see him work through reading, writing, spelling, history and more with an impressive determination. His attitude remains positive, his mindset focused as he works toward his goal of completing 3 exercises per night so he has Thursday night off.

“How did I get so lucky?” I ask myself.

I am blessed with a kid who loves learning and already understand the importance of using his thoughts, attitudes and words to further his success - a gift that will serve him for the rest of his life. So how did this happen? How is it that a 10 year old boy has more of a grasp on time-tested success principles than many adults?

While my husband Mario and I strive to be great parents, we recognize that we are still novices, despite the fact that this is our second time around. (We raised Mario’s daughter who is now 28 and the proud mom of two incredibly cute babies.) The truth is that Alex has gained these essential life skills not from long winded lectures, but from him watching his parents live the life of the home-based entrepreneur.

A thought of Alex’s future comes to mind…and what hits me suddenly is that we have given him the tools necessary to be successful in whatever endeavor he chooses. It’s our actions, not our words that have inspired Alex to take on the “life skills” we are seeing come to the surface. One of the most important lessons Mario and I have taught him is that he can do anything in his life-he doesn’t have to be stuck in a 9-5 job; the world truly is his oyster. And…the best part is that we didn’t “teach” him with words, but by the example of creating our own dream of working from home…doing what we love and reaping the many benefits – including being there to watch our son grow up.

Jane Deuber, Co-Founder

Direct Selling Women's Alliance

www.mydswa.org

2 comments:

Karen said...

Oh Jane I loved your post. One of the best benefits EVER of having my business has been the example I've set for my own kids. I am so proud of the people they are becoming. They are goal-oriented, confident, and know they can do anything! I am so glad they've grown up in this profession along with me!

Melody said...

Hi Jane
great article and it certainly reflects why I love my direct selling business and working at home with Watkins.

I think Party with your kids week is a wonderful idea! Kudos to everyone at the DSWA, you are a great inspiration and support system for any direct seller who wishes to live their dreams!